Monday, November 5, 2012

What do you do with the poo?

One of the biggest obstacles that people have with cloth diapers is the poop! When I am out
in public or visiting with friends and family and have to change my son’s diaper, I quickly begin
to notice as eyes start to glance and then stare at what exactly I am doing. Then the questions
begin… “Cloth diapers?” “But what if they poop, what do you do with the poop.”
I have heard it all and my answer is the same…it is not as bad as you may think. Here are
some different things you can do to get rid of the poo.
  • If the poop is solid, simply shake the poop out over the toilet and flush away. If the poop is breastfeeding poop, there is no need to even clean out the diaper as the poop is 100% water soluble. If you don’t feel comfortable not cleaning the breastfeeding poop out, simply follow number 2.
  • Use a diaper sprayer. A diaper sprayer is an easy way to make modern day cloth diapering even easier. Simply hold the poopy diaper over your toilet and spray away the poop, then flush.
  • You can use the pre-diaper sprayer method which involves taking the diaper and swishing it around in the toilet to loosen any poop remaining after you shook the diaper out. Simply swish or swirl and then into the diaper pail it goes.
  • Use flushable biodegradable diaper liners. Simply place a liner over the inside of your cloth diaper and go about business as usual. When it comes time to change the diaper simply toss the liner into the toilet with the poop and flush away. Some say this is the easiest way for people who don’t like to deal with the poop. There is no swishing, swirling or spraying.
Personally, I have a diaper sprayer that is my savior! I recommend getting one as I used it on
a daily basis, even with breastfeeding poopy diapers. I prefer one with an adjustable spray to
allow for a hard or soft spray.
  So the next time someone watches you change a diaper, be sure to tell them it’s not as hard or
gross as they think! You can share from your own experiences and maybe convert a couple of
people to cloth diapers!

What do you do with the poo?

Contributed by: Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment