Monday, November 12, 2012

Yeast Issues? Start here!

Today I am going to talk about the yuckies of the yuckies....the dreaded yeast infection.  So, instead of my normal joking manner, this is kind of serious, so it is going to be a more serious post.

Anyways, the first thing I really recommend before trying to clear up yeast on your own is to take your child to the doctor.  A yeast infection has almost the same qualities as a UTI.  You want to make sure that it is yeast.  Also, if it is a yeast infection, they will give you a prescription fungal cream.  This fungal cream is seriously amazing and rid my son of yeast in about 2 days.  We continued with it for 5 days though, just to be sure.  I highly suggest switching over for disposables for these few days just to be able to deal with sanitizing the diapers and so on.  You can also use a liner with this cream, but like I said, you are going to want to wash and deal with your diapers, so it is just easier to buy a thing of disposables.

Now that you have a diagnosis of yeast, what do you do?  Well, this is where it gets hard.  There are so many different suggestions online and it is hard to figure out which one to try and which one not to try.  I decided to use the heat and bleach route and it worked magically.  I know a lot of people like to do the less harsher treatments, but if you want to completely make sure you are done with yeast, this is what I recommend and what my son's cloth diaper friendly doctor recommended as well (yes, my doctor is the one that helped us switch and taught us most of what we know).

So, what I did is I cleaned the diapers as normal and then ran a COLD cycle with 1/2 cup bleach.  If you only have pockets and inserts, it will not make marks on your diapers.  If you have fitteds or other diapers, you might want to use color safe bleach.  It does not work as well, so I recommend doing it twice.   After doing this, wash on hot 3-4 times to make sure that you get all the bleach out and the hot will help finish sanitizing the diapers.  

After this is all done, just put everything out in the sun and your diapers should be completely sanitized and perfectly fresh!  After all this, I have not had a problem with yeast again.
 
 
Contributed by Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment