Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ideas for Creating a Cloth Diaper Stash on a Budget


The upfront cost of cloth diapering can be quite scary. I know it was for me. I was determined to get my
hands on some fluff for my baby though! I knew in the long run that I would be saving my family a lot of
money.

I didn’t get my hands on cloth until my first daughter was 4 months old. Boy, do I wish I had just figured
it out before then and bought some sooner. I did the math and if I had purchased cloth from the
beginning, I would’ve saved an extra $300 during those first 3 months of my daughter’s life! $300! That’s
more than a pack of 24 Smartipants cost.
Buying your stash in bulk would be the cheapest option, but it’s also the most overwhelming. If buying
a bulk stash to receive a discount isn’t in the cards for you, you could always buy a few at a time. You
don’t need a full stash of cloth to start cloth diapering, even just doing one or two cloth diaper changes a
day until you can buy more helps save you money.
Another option is to consider buying seconds quality diapers. Smartipants offers seconds quality diapers
at a discounted price. If you’re on a tight budget, it’s definitely something to contemplate since they
are still useable, just usually have a cosmetic flaw of some sort. Smartipants sells their seconds quality
diapers for $7.95 a diaper, that’s nearly a 50% discount. So, if money is really tight and you don’t want
to purchase used diapers, I highly recommend looking for seconds quality diapers to build your stash.
A few other ideas for building a stash on a budget include, buying used, entering cloth diaper giveaways,
and if you’re really desperate for help considering applying for a cloth diaper loan through programs
such as Giving Diapers, Giving Hope. If looking to buy used, you can find people selling on Diaper
Swappers and Cloth Diaper Swap. You can find cloth diaper giveaways on Change-Diaper’s Cloth Diaper
Giveaway Round-up.

What have you done to help build your stash on a budget?

Contributed by: Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment