Thursday, September 13, 2012

Nicole's Advice to People on the Fence About Cloth Diapering

Hey everyone.  A little birdie told me that there are some people that may be on the fence about cloth diapering so I am here riding in on my cloth diaper horse to save the day!  haha.

Anyways, down to business.  Here are a few things that might help you get off the fence!

1.)  Try to find a place to actually see, touch and feel MODERN cloth diapers.  When everyone hears about cloth diapers, they think big pieces of fabric that you have to fold and manipulate on a crying moving baby that doesn't want to sit still and then on top of that you have to pin the fabric on the baby some how so that it stays on the baby without poking your baby to all heck and back with the darn pin.  Well, let me tell ya, cloth diapers are NOTHING like that anymore.  Call a local cloth diaper store (even if they are only online) and see if you can make an appointment to actually see the diapers.  A lot of cloth diapering stores will let you do that even if they are just online.  If you do not have a store in your area, check to see if you can find a cloth diaper user in the area that would be willing to let you see some of her stash.  I'll tell you, this is one thing I wish I had an opportunity to do.  Thank goodness I had a friend that was looking into all the cloth diapers for her one on the way and was pretty knowledgeable as to where I should go and what I should get to best fit my needs.  Thank you again Charity!

2.) Research, but don't over do it!  If you over do your research, you will get overwhelmed.  Pick one site, read everything on that site.  If you have questions, email the writer of that site.  If you ask advice from everyone, you will get 50 different answers to something that was probably simple, but just became horribly confusing.

3.) Read on the RDA about cloth verses disposable diapers.  http://www.realdiaperassociation.org/diaperfacts.php
On this page of the Real Diaper Association there are some GREAT facts about disposable diapers and why they are not such a great choice for your baby, your pocket book, and the environment.  Just one of the details that really helped us (besides the fact that my son was allergic to disposable diapers) is the amount of money saved per child!  If you disposable diaper your child, you will spend about $1,600 diapering your child.  I spent $300 to cloth diaper both my children....just saying...

4.)  Just try it!  A lot of stores have a return policy or a trial period.  Get a package that includes that and just try the cloth diapers.  More than likely you will love it once you get a cloth diaper on your child.  It is not that big of a leap to just buy one or two to see what they are like.  And, like I stated already, if you are on the fence, more than likely you will love them when they get there.

 
Contributed by: Nicole
Hi, my name is Nicole.  I am the mother of two wonderful boys who are 3 and 10 months.  I started cloth diapering when my oldest was 8 months old due to an allergy to disposable diapers.  I know host cloth diapering classes, run a blog (http://clothreviews.blogspot.com) and have a shop (www.etsy.com/shop/crazyleggies).  I am a pretty busy mama and have little to no free time, but I wouldn't change it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment