Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Roots, Wings & a Mommy Moment

My mother always tells me that my job is to give my kids roots and wings. Preferably, roots first.
I love this peice of advice. I want to teach my kids important things about life and taking care of themselves and of our planet. I want them to help others whenever they can and all of this to be rooted in them. I want so many things for my kids, but mostly I want them to really believe that they can be and do whatever they want in this life, because if they believe that, then they can.

So today my 3 year old daughter is asked if she is a princess while we were shopping. She looks at me thoughtfully and asks me "Mommy, am I a princess?" So I asked her, "Do you want to be a princess?" I was so ready to tell her of course she is a princess, the most beautiful in all the land...then she replied, "No I don't want to be a princess, I want to be a cowboy" And so I said " well then you can be a cowboy, then best cowboy ever" and off she galloped down the aisle. I just smiled as my heart galloped away with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment