Friday, May 1, 2009

Mommy Moments #1

Do you ever get those moments where your heart swells when your child does something new? It’s so easy to be proud of their milestones yet difficult to let them grow out of their babyhood to reach some of them.

One of my sons is 6 years old and in Kindergarten. This morning when I took him to school he politely informed me that I no longer needed to walk him to the gate. He said “you stay here and I will walk over there by myself” so I kissed him goodbye and watched him walk away from me. As I watched my little boy walking all on his own with his little lunch pail going off to school, I knew he was saying “ I can do it on my own” but I was hearing” I don’t need you anymore”…

As he turned to wave at me, I smiled and waved back, and he disappeared into his classroom. Then I smiled at my toddler who was with me, got back in the car to drive home and cried all the way.

As soon as we got home my daughter informed me that she needed a diaper change and I remembered that some things are way easier to let them do on their own so we had another little chat about using the potty and I had to laugh at myself!

1 comment: