Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cloth Diapering While On Vacation


Cloth Diapering While on Vacation

I have been dying to write about cloth diapering while you are on vacation because I know this is one thing that I do get a lot of questions about.  I always cloth diaper on trips.  I am pretty much anti disposable diapers for any reason, so I had to figure out this one thing so that I could continue to travel as much as I do.  

I travel an awful lot because I live in Virginia while my family lives in either New York or Florida (which is a 12 hour drive either way).  So, I started out using pocket diapers for trips.  That didn't work out too well for me, so then I started using fitted diapers and that worked great!  Basically, you want a diaper that works for your child overnight for the car trips (but that doesn't mean to leave your child in a diaper for hours just because it is more absorbent).  So, when you are packing your bags, remember that for the car trip.

Another thing that might be useful is more than one wet bag for the trip.  I actually bring 5 with me because I don't bring my pail liner.  I bring enough diapers for three days and make sure I stay in a place with laundry facilities.  You can find those in even low end motels too, so they are really not that hard to find.

Now, for the actual time that we are there, I usually use either pocket diapers that agitate the insert out themselves (like Smarti Pants) or AIO diapers just because they are SO much easier to wash!  This makes using someone else's washer a little easier on you.

Another thing that I always make sure I do is that I save up samples for trips.  Some great samples to have are washing powder, diaper rash cream and wipe solution.  This makes it much easier to carry everything around with you.  I know that I would never want to carry around a whole large bag of cloth diaper detergent, so this makes everything much better.

A different way that some people go is that they use disposable inserts for the trip.  This makes it much easier for some, but honestly, I really don't like to use them.  But if that is easier on you, that is what you should do as that is better than using non-biodegradable disposable diapers!  Any little thing helps remember ;-)

But, whatever you choice...just know that you are helping the environment!

Contributed by Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment